Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Abelard Apetite Fiasco

My friends often joke that they are going to make me a t-shirt reading "I'm lactose intolerant. I'm allergic to Gluten. Oh yeah, and I'm a vegan. Have fun feeding me!" So when the Abelard Apetite (a very complex monthly bake sale) came around, I knew I would have to bring an appetizer that was vegan, gluten free, lactose free, peanut free, healthy, reflects Middle Eastern culture and tasted good. Hmmm... now what in the world fits that criteria? After trying a number of different recipes, I finally found the answer to my prayers.

Curried Chickpea Spread

From The Vegan Chef-makes a big batch!

2 - 15 oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed, and drained
1/4 C. chickpea cooking liquid, water, or vegetable broth
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. freshly chopped cilantro

In a food processor, place the chickpeas, liquid, lemon juice, curry powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt, and process until smooth. Add the cilantro and pulse a few times to combine. Transfer the curried chickpea spread to a bowl. Serve as a dip or spread for vegetables, crackers, pita crisps, or bread, or as a sandwich filling.

Yield: 4 Cups

Through this experience I learned that people with lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance and who are vegan are forced to pray to God with strange requests during school bake sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment